To post or not to post...

Let me start by saying, I'm not so very confident about this post. I've written it 3 times, read it 20 times, and even now I'm not sure how to write it, much less what to say about it. But I feel a need to just talk about it. I mean I could avoid it altogether and not discuss it...oh pfftt...I'll just start talking about my topic. So relationships. The one between a boy and girl. That kind. I've noticed I've come around full swing. Allow me to take you back...When I first entered the dating world I used to be very cynical towards relationships. I firmly believed no guy was worth my time. I believed I didn't need a boy to do anything (I still do). I believed this for a good period of time. But eventually I got into a relationship where I was dating this boy every other month for 6 months. Why? I mean I had been so anti-relationship....well my family liked the boy.....and I adore my family so I just kinda dated him. But it was on and off. So after that relationship ended...I just became kind of apathetic towards relationships. I took the approach of "relationships, I guess, I mean if you want one yeah...." I dated here and there. Got into very brief relationships here and there (one lasted a week). None too serious (though there was an exception)............You know what, it just dawned on me why I'm apprehensive discussing this topic; it's personal and I'm not a 100% comfortable with that. I blog on very impersonal topics (generally) and now I'm spilling my soul.....ha!...you'd better appreciate this.But anyway, back to what I was saying. So yes, I continued dating after a year of being in college...let me clarify when I say date, I mean exactly that. We go to dinner, talk, eat, I go home. That's it. I'm a respectable girl. But anyway, I think after doing that a couple of times, I've come around full swing. Well, almost at least. I'm well on my way there.I've almost reached that Anti-Relationship status that I was at so long ago.I think I'm disappointed with what I've seen and have come to decide that being alone and being disappointed with myself is better than being with someone and being disappointed with them and me. I also think that I can't commit. I'm not sure I ever will. I mean I can, but I won't. I think I've realized some things just aren't worth my time. And boys happen to be one of them. I'm always amused by the reply I get when someone has discussed relationships with me and they discover where I'm standing on the issue. It comes in stages. Disbelief, deference, and doubt. First they can't believe I'm anti-relationship. Then they semi-respect me. And then they say, almost always, "You say that now Michelle, but you watch you'll be the first one married off. You are the marrying kind." It humors me. Tremendously. Relationships are almost over-rated. Am I cynical again? I think so. I was looking for "that" relationship, that one that would be so fun to be in.....but reality set in and now...I've flipped the sign on my shop door to 'Closed'. Life has more to offer than just relationships...it has amazing friends, enriching experiences, photographic moments, and many other things that we girls sometimes forget about when we are in a relationship...............Okay enough talk about that.Now 180 degrees onto the topic of technology (sorta). I'm recording what's on my many VHS tapes onto DVD...it is a time consuming process but also an educational one. If you ever undertake the same project, you will need to know 2 things. First, initialize. If you pop in a blank DVD (brand new) and the converter asks if you want to initialize, do so. If it's not blank and you've already recorded some stuff on it, then don't. Initialize basically means wipe out what’s on the DVD and start over. So only initialize if you don’t have anything on your DVD or you want to wipe something off. Secondly, Finalize. When you are done burning your stuff from VHS to DVD, you must finalize to view it. You can't just burn it onto your DVD and then expect to be done...you have to finalize. Finalizing is like the sealing process. It tells the DVD you can’t have anything else recorded on here you can only play in a DVD deck. You can also finalize on your computer with various programs, like Roxio. I have another month of converting...(I have a lot of VHS tapes) so if I have any other tidbits regarding this conversion process, I shall be sure to let you know. Anyway back to converting...

1 comment:

Alex said...

So I searched "Gainesville" on Twitter and saw you, but your name's not on it so I followed the rabbit hole to here and forsoothe I really do know you. Weird.

Think what you want about relationships, but my opinion on things is you shouldn't go in with a certain mindset. I agree you prolly don't need relationships, but they can be good things with the right person.

And VHS? Really? 1994 called, they want their tech back.

-Alex