Sightseeing Rome

Today we purposed to wake up early and conquer Rome in a day.
Despite having late night hostel peeps come in, we managed to wake up at 7:30 and hop on the bus that would drop us off at the Prima Porta station, so we could get on another bus that would drop us off on the Saxa Rubra train that would bring us to Rome. We arrived there a little after 9 and noted that we had been dropped off right in front of the Piazza Del Popolo. The Popolo, known as the "Peoples Plaza" had been the site for public executions back in the day and was a architectural beauty. It had a fountain in the middle flanked by lions and gods on the north and south side of it. It was incredible.
Bella and I didn't realize how lucky we were to arrive so early. It was very quiet and extremely peaceful. We walked down Via Del Corso and saw some of the shops before deciding to get breakfast. It cost €24 to get breakfast, which is a pretty penny when all we got was 3 croissants and a gelato. We continued on south before deciding to get on one of those hop on/hop off buses. That was a very good decision.
We saw everything in about 2 hours. The colosseum, the piazza navona, the Vatican, everything. We then decided what we wanted to see and then went from there.
We saw the Vatican, the Piazza Venezia, the Fontana di Trevi, the Pantheon, we saw a lot. I also learned one of the most pick pocketed places in Europe is at the Fontana di Trevi, so I rocked the pregnant backpack look for pretty much the entire day.
We did a lot of walking that day. By the time 7 o'clock hit my feet were hurting so badly I seriously thought about walking on my knees. The crowds were getting heavier and traffic was a nightmare.
We decided to go home around that time as we had put in a full day. We took our usual route to the hostel via metro, train, bus, boat, mammal, plane, and canoe. We got there and went to the bar and enjoyed a pitcher of sangria, a treat to us for surviving such a long day. We then headed off to our room and got ready for the night.
I had purchased Tylenol PM while in England and suggested we take one should we have more late night hostelers come in and wake us up. Bella took two and I took two as well. 20 minutes into having taken it we both were having a difficult time staying awake.
Hopefully we'll still be able to wake up tomorrow at 7:30. I guess I'll find out.

No comments: